Buffalo Chicken Wings or buffalo wings originally is a Cuisine of the United States.They are traditionally served with carrot sticks or celery sticks and blue cheese dressing for dipping. Some of people like to deep fry wings and some of them bake the wings. The national buffalo wings festival is weekend festival which held at Coca-Cola field in downtown Buffalo,New York, USA.
My last week trip to Niagara Falls was really the motivation to try out this wonderful recipe. We flew to Buffalo, NY and I was surprised to find abundance of restaurant serving Buffalo Chicken Wings. I was tempted to try it out and also the name “Buffalo” lured me towards the history behind this amazing recipe.
There are two important changes to be noted in my version of Buffalo Chicken Wings.
- I have baked the Chicken Wings instead of deep frying.Baking is always much more heather option than frying in oil.
- I have used finely chopped garlic in the sauce to make the wings more flavorful.
I have cleaned the wings. You can cut them in three section, I have excluded the 3rd small part and only taken the 2 pieces.
You can see below how the Chicken Wings looks below.
Here are the ingredients I have used for marination. I have missed the Onion Powder to place in the photograph below.
After adding all the spices the Chicken wings would look like this.
I have used the Rice Flour, All Purpose Flour, Black Pepper Power & Salt to make a coating on the wings before baking.
See below how I have used the large sandwich bag so that I don’t have to use my hand. There might be excess flour, you don’t have to use it, make sure the wings are properly coated with the flour.
I have applied unsalted butter after placing the wings on the baking sheet.
The wings are properly baked after 30mins. You need to turn them after 15mins of baking. Here is how they looked after baking.
I have used the following items to make the sauce. You can add Thai Red Chili Paste if you want to make it more hot & spicy.
Serve the Buffalo Chicken Wings hot with ranch/blue Cheese and celery sticks.
We had a wonderful time at Buffalo,NY. The home made Buffalo Chicken Wings will always remind me about Mystic Niagara.
Here is the full recipe in detail.
- 1.25lb Chicken Wings
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cajun Spice
- 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ Teaspoon Lemon Pepper Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- Seasoned Salt ( as per taste )
- 3 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Melted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Finely Chopped Garlic
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Tomato Catch up
- 3 Tablespoons Red Chili Sauce
- ½ Tablespoon Honey
- 2 Tablespoon Hot Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Cayenne Powder
- In a small bowl,take the chicken wings and mix the Garlic Powder, Cajun Spice, Cayenne Pepper Powder, Dried Oregano, Lemon Pepper Powder, Black Pepper Powder,Onion Powder, Seasoned Salt together then let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- Once the marination is done, keep the chicken wings in a large sandwich bag (ziplock bag) and add 3 tablespoon all purpose, 2 tablespoon rice flour, black pepper powder and salt. Sake them well.
- Now preheat the oven to 375 F and brush the baking tray with unsalted butter.Place the chicken wings one by one on top the baking sheet, apply butter on the wings using a brush and bake for 15 minutes minutes. Turn the wings and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Now the chicken has been cooked and takes it outside of the oven.
- Heat a skillet in a medium flame and add butter. Once the butter has been melted, add finely chopped garlic and stir for few second.
- Now add the tomato catch up, red chili sauce, hot sauce, cayenne powder and honey and mix them well. Toss the chicken wings in this mixture and make sure the wings are nicely coated with the sauce.
- Your chicken wing is ready to be serve with Ranch or Blue Cheese.