Chicken Lollipop is one of the most popular and famous Chicken appetizers in restaurants. The folded chicken pieces gets marinated in a spicy mixture then we deep fry them. Each Chicken piece looks like a Lollipop after folding the meat which is why its called as Chicken Lollipop. It’s not at sweet, rather a spicy and delicious appetizer.
Chicken Lollipop is perfect for parties, since its very easy to make. You can make this in just three steps , fold – mix – fry. In Kolkata this is a very popular dish. There are several variation of Chicken Lollipop now a days, however this is the original one.
You need to cut the bottom part of the chicken and fold the meat upside. You can see the cut marks I have in the picture below and how it looks. Sometimes you can get it done at the store however you can easily do it at home.
It’s a three step process:
- Make a circular cut at the bottom so that the meat gets separated from the bone.
- Using hand push the meat to the other side.
- The meat will automatically cover the top part and become like the below picture.
Here is another look of the Chicken Lollipop. They are perfect for small parties.
Chicken Lollipop Marination Steps:
I have step by step instructions with the picture on how to make the marination mix. First follow below 1-10 steps. Even though the steps are very simple I wanted to show each step to make the process visualized to you. Let me know in case you have questions on this.
Take an empty bowl then –
- Add Red Chili Paste
- Add Garlic Paste
- Add Ginger Paste
- Add Black Pepper Powder
- Add Red Chili Powder
- Add Salt
- Add Vinegar
- Add Soya Sauce
- Add Tomato Ketchup
- Mix Everything
(Each picture has the step number listed above)
Here are the remaining steps (11-18).
- Add Sugar
- Again Mix
- Add Chicken Pieces
- Coat the Chicken with Marination Liquid
- Now Add the following
- Corn Flour
- All Purpose Flour/ Maida
You can deep fry more then one chicken piece based on the wok size. I was frying two at a time. Here is the picture below.
Here is the full recipe.
- 10 Pieces Chicken legs
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Red Chili Paste
- ½ Teaspoon Black pepper Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Soya sauce
- 2 – 2 ½ Tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- ¼ Teaspoon Sugar
- Salt (As per taste)
- 1½ Tablespoon Maida (All purpose flour)
- 1½ Tablespoon Cornstarch
- Salt (As per taste)
- 1 egg
- Oil (for deep frying)
- Take a clean big mixing bowl and add marinated item listed below, which are ginger- garlic paste, red chili paste, red chili powder, black pepper powder, vinegar, soya sauce, tomato ketchup, salt, pinch of sugar, and mix them well. Add chicken leg pieces and mix them well and marinate for 1-2 hours in a refrigerator.
- Add Flour, cornstarch and one beaten egg in the marinated chicken legs and mix them well.
- Heat the oil in deep frying pan, when the oil in hot enough, coat the chicken with marination and deep fry them, until they turn into light golden brown.
- Put the “Chicken Lollipop” in a pepper towel for soak the excess oil.
- Now your yummy -hot chicken lollipop is ready for serve. Serve them immediately with your favorite sauce.