Who does not love Chingri (Prawn) ! Chingri Posto is a very popular and traditional dish in West Bengal. In this recipe posto or poppy seed paste is the main ingredient. The strong state of mustard oil and posto is just amazing. You would only need very few ingredients to make this Chingri Posto.
All the ingredients are listed below in the photograph. You need to make a fine posto(poppy seed) paste to make the Chingri Posto the perfect way.
The below photograph shows different stages of the preparation. Make sure only to light fry the Chingri (Prawn). The onions would be fried only till they are transparent.
Here is another look of the Chingri Posto once it’s ready for serving. Serve this with white rice.
- 5 Tablespoons Mustard Oil
- 2 Pieces Tiger Prawn
- 4 -5 Tablespoons Poppy Seed Paste/Posto Paste
- 3-4 Whole Red Chili
- ⅛ Teaspoon Whole Black Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- 1-2 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Large onion (Cut into slices)
- 4-5 Green chilies
- Salt (As per taste)
- Sugar (Pinch Of)
- ½ Cup Of Water
- At first cut and clean the prawn and apply salt and turmeric, keep it aside.
- Now heat mustard oil in a skillet add whole red chili and whole cumin seeds, when the aroma starts to come out then lightly pan fry the Prawn.
- Don’t overcook the Prawn, otherwise it become stiff. Keep the Prawns aside.
- In the same oil add chopped onion add little amount of sugar and stair for few minutes.
- When the onions are slightly transparent add the Prawn , red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and stair for few minutes.
- Add ½ cup of water and cover the skillet with lid for 6-8 minutes ,so that Prawn would be cooked.
- Now remove the lid and add poppy seeds paste and cook for another 6-8 minutes.
- Your Posto Chingri is almost ready, before serving drizzle some mustard oil on top and garnish with green chili.
- Serve your Chingri Posto with white rice.