I used to love Chicken tenders and had it many times when I was in India, but never heard about the Coconut Chicken Tenders. As you might know we both like to travel to different places and try out varieties of cuisines. Once we had the coconut shrimp at Wilmington, North Carolina and since then I wanted to make the Coconut Chicken Tenders. So here is the recipe I came up with.
I have used thin sliced chicken breast for this recipe. You will feel the coconut flavor in each bite of this delicious food. I have used the coconut flakes in the second round of coating however you can use any one type of grated coconut. The picture below has been taken after the marination of first coating. You can see how the coconut power has created a nice layer on top of the chicken.
The below picture was taken after the 2nd coating has been applied on top of the first one. The coconut flakes gives a really nice texture to the chicken tender. One little advise, be bit careful when you are frying the chicken.
Have the Coconut Chicken Tenders hot right after it’s fried otherwise it may become soft. In case you are inviting friends, keep the tenders ready in refrigerator and try them once your guests arrived. Hope you will make this at home and also enjoy this dish.
- 250gm Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast(cut into small thin strip)
- 1 Teaspoon Soya sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Black pepper dust
- Salt (as per taste)
- ¼ Cup Cornstarch
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 Cup of Coconut Milk
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Fine Grated Coconut (Coconut Power)
- Coarse Grated Coconut (Coconut Flakes) - Optional
- Vegetable Oil (for deep frying)
- Cut the Chicken into small strips, then marinate it with Soya sauce, Black Pepper power and salt, for 30 mins.
- Take a shallow dish then mix cornstarch, salt, red chili powder together.
- Then Pour a cup of coconut milk into another bowl and add pinch of salt into it.
- Combine Fine Grated coconut and Panko Breadcrumbs (2:1 ratio) in another shallow plate.
- Once the Chicken has been marinated, coat each one of them with the mixture you prepared in step 2 then dip them into the coconut milk (prepared in step 3), finally roll it with shredded coconut and Panko breadcrumbs (Made in step 4).
- Then rap the chicken strips with transparent sheet/Aluminium foil and keep them in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Take out the chicken strips from refrigerator, repeat the coating process again with step 3 & 4, but this time use Coarse Grated Coconut in Step 4 (Coconut Flakes), if you don't have them use the Fine Grated Coconut instead.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium flame and deep fry the chicken strips. Now the “Coconut Chicken Tenders” are ready to be served hot with your favorite sauce.
You can use any one type of dry coconut, either the power or flakes in case you don't have both of them.
Fry the chicken in medium flame otherwise the outer dry coconut layer would burn.