Crispy Fish Fritter is a very popular appetizer which mostly goes with a cup of Coffee or Tea. The outer Crispy layer perfectly complements the delicious and flavorful inner core made from a mixture of fish & different spices. The Crispy Fish Fritter is not only mouthwatering but also very easy and quick to make at home.
Let me tell you how I came across this recipe. One morning I woke up hearing some noise from the kitchen (We used to live in New Jersey at that time ). So I went there and found that Abhisek started making breakfast for me, however what surprised me was the fish, which was getting boiled. Initially I couldn’t get what he was making however later I was very happy and helped him to complete. Afterwards after moving to North Carolina, I modified the recipe and made my version of the Crispy Fish Fritter.You can also call this recipe as Fish Cutlet or Fish Patty .
The good thing is, you can use any type of white fish for this recipe. I have used Tilapia, however you can use Basa/Bhetki etc. Initially I had boiled the fish with some whole spices in order to take away the smell (if any). Then I smashed it with different types of spices and at last mixed some smashed potato. The potato has been used as a binding agent so that you can make small patties for frying. The below pictures will provide you an idea of how each step might look like.
You can have this Crispy Fish Fritter in many different ways. You can either have it with chutney or make sandwich using it. When I make the Crispy Fish Fritter in a large quantity I use our Panini Press to make delicious sandwich.
Once the mixture is ready make small small patties and deep fry them later. In case you want to make this recipe more healthy you can shallow fry the patties instead of deep frying them. I have also tried baking them in oven, however its takes lot of time so I don’t recommend it.
Crispy Fish Fritter is another recipe which you can make under 30mins. You can make lots of them and keep them in refrigerator for later use. The Crispy Fish Fritter has been a big savior when I had unexpected guest and always received huge appreciation for this delicious recipe.
- 230gm Fish Fillets (White Fish)
- 100gm Boiled Potato (Smashed)
- Whole Cinnamon, Cardamom, Cloves, Bay Leaves (2+2+2+2)
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Paste
- 2-3 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Onion
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Flakes
- ½ Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Curry Powder/Cajun Spice
- 1-2 Teaspoons Chat Masala (optional)
- Finely Chopped Handful of Coriander Leaves
- 3-4 Teaspoons Lime juice
- Salt (as needed)
- Sugar (pinch of)
- All purpose Flour
- Egg White
- Bread Crumbs (Panko)
- Vegetable Oil (For deep frying)
- Boil the fish fillets with ½ cup of water and whole cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, bay leaves. When the fish has been cooked take out the fish from water and smash it, keep it aside.
- Boil the potato, then smash it and add with salt, little bit of red chili powder.
- Heat a skillet, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- When the oil has been hot enough, add ginger garlic paste then stair for few minutes.
- Add chopped onion, chili flakes and sauté it.
- Now its time for adding the smashed fish, chat masala (optional), coriander powder, cumin powder, little bit of red chili powder.
- Cook for 1 minute then put the smashed potato, salt(as needed), sugar(pinch off), curry powder/cajun spice. Mix everything properly.
- At last, add handful of coriander leaves and lime juice.
- Let the mixture cool down for few minutes.
- When the mixture has been cooled down, make small patties one by one and keep them aside.
- Lightly Cover the fish patties with all purpose flour (Maida) (take out the excess flour) and the dip the patties into beaten egg white mixture then at last roll the patties into the bread crumbs.
- Deep fry the patties until they are golden brown.
- Serve hot with your favorite sauce.