Dim Begun Bahar is a very different and uncommon recipe. This is a very elegant dish with unforgettable taste. The combination of Eggplant/Begun & Tomato with the Egg makes this recipe very different from regular Egg Curry. In case you are an eggetarian or egg lover, like me then this recipe is a must for you to try.
As some of you already know, I am from Santiniketan and we don’t generally get different types of fish there, we are mainly dependent on egg & meat. I was totally bored with the same egg curry and wanted to try out something different. So one day I made this Dim Begun Bahar when I was in college and parents loved it so much that still they often make this at home.
The picture below is very important, please notice how I have roasted the Eggplant/Begun, Tomato & Egg. Its very important that you shouldn’t fully cook the Eggplant/Begun. I have used Kewra Water in order to increase the essence.
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Eggplant/Brinjal
- 1 Large Tomato
- Mustard Oil
- Whole Garam Masala (Cinnamon, Cloves, Cardamom )
- 3 Tablespoons Onion Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Paste
- ¼ Teaspoon Turmeric Power
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Power
- ½ Teaspoon Paprika/Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Kewra Water
- 6-7 Tablespoons Curd/Yogurt
- Boil & peel the Eggs, then add pinch of Red Chili, Turmeric & Salt to the boiled egg. Heat 1 Teaspoon oil is a pan then add the eggs. Stir for 1 min so that the outside layer of of the eggs would get nice texture and part of it would be fried (Refer the picture above). Keep them aside.
- Cut the Eggplant/Brinjal in 4 long pieces (As shown in the picture). Add pinch of Turmeric,Salt then shallow them in medium heat. Keep them aside.
- Make some small holes in the tomato using a fork. Apply a layer of oil on top of it. Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a pan in low-medium flame and add the tomato. Stir for few mins, then cover the pan with a lid for 1 min and stir again. Repeat this process until the tomato is soft, roasted and partly boiled. The outer layer could be slightly burnt. Please refer the picture above. Keep them aside.
- Heat 5-7 Tablespoons of Mustard Oil in a cooking pan in medium frame, once the oil is hot add the whole garam masala (2 Cinnamon, 3 Cloves, 4 Cardamom ). Add the Onion Paste, Ginger & Garlic Paste to the oil. Stir them for few mins.
- Then add Salt ( as per taste ), pinch of Sugar, Turmeric Power (1/4 Teaspoon), Red Chili Power (1 Teaspoon) , Paprika/Kashmiri Red Chili Powder (1/2 Teaspoon) and stir them for 3-5 mins.
- Add Curd/Yogurt to the mixture and stir again until the paste starts extracting oil.
- Add the Egg, Eggplant/Brinjal & Tomato to the mixture and stir them carefully( so that the eggplant/Brinjal should not get smashed) for 5 mins. (In case the mixture is too dry, sprinkle little bit of water during cooking this step).
- At the end, add the Kewra Water, turn of the frame and cover the food with a lid.
- Open the lid during serving so that you could enjoy the nice essence.