Fish Bhorta or Macher Bhorta is my mom’s special recipe. Generally my mother makes this dish with ‘Rohu Fish’, however you can try this with any fish. It is a very quick and less time consuming recipe. In case you didn’t know, I am from Santiniketan, where we couldn’t get fresh variety of fish everyday. Often a very delicious recipe can be lackluster if repeated again & again. My mother would make this Fish Bhorta or Macher Bhorta recipe for me, when I used to get bored with the same type of dish.
This Macher Bhorta ,daal and steamed rice are a very nice combination during lunch time or you can also have with roti as well. If you are in hurry and don’t have enough time, then this recipe is perfect for you. The taste of the Macher Bhorta is little bit spicy and mildly tangy.
Once the onion becomes transparent add the garlic paste. Use any fish or part of a fish with less or no thorn. In case the tomato is very tangy you need to adjust the amount accordingly. Since this recipe is very simple I am not adding photos for each steps, let me know in case you need any help.
Here is the full recipe.
- (4 pieces) 400 gm Fresh Tilapia/Rohu Fish Fillet
- 3 - 4 Tablespoons Mustard Oil
- 11/2 Tablespoon Garlic Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Paste
- 125 gm Chopped Onion
- Salt (As needed)
- ½ Teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Roasted Cumin & Coriander Powder
- 2 Green Chilies
- ½ Teaspoon Lime Juice
- ½ Medium Size Tomato (deseeded)
- Green Peas (boiled) (optional)
- Chopped Coriander leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
- At first clean the fish; now rub the fish with ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and salt, keep the aside.
- Heat a skillet, add 4 - 5 Tablespoon of Mustard Oil and shallow fry the fish fillet until both sides are cooked.
- Take out the fish from pan and keep it in pepper towel. Now mash the fish and take keep in a plate.
- In the same pan add additional 2 tablespoons of mustard oil.
- When the oil is hot enough add chili flakes, chopped garlic sauté for 30 second.
- Add chopped onion and cook for sometime until the onion has become translucent and becomes soft.
- Put 1 tablespoon of garlic paste and cook for few second until the raw flavored has gone.
- Now its time for add all the dry spices - turmeric powder, red chili powder, roasted cumin and coriander powder, salt. Then cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped deseeded tomato and sauté them until the tomato become soft. Don’t add too much of tomato it's very tangy.
- Now add the mashed fish and mix them well.
- Add few drops of lime juice and chat masala.
- Garish your Fish Bhorta or Macher Bhorta with green chilies, green peas and chopped coriander leave.