Wanna impress your guest/children or someone else? The Fish Butter Fry would undoubtedly win anyone’s heart just after one bite. The super crispy fluffy outer layer covering buttery soft white fish, dipped into white sauce is just mouth watering.
I had this type of recipe in a wedding ceremony long time back in India, suddenly on Sunday afternoon had an urge of having the same Fish Butter Fry again. So as you all would expect, I sent my husband for buying some fresh white fish fillets for this. I have used “Basa” fish here (which is widely available in USA and Indonesia) but you could use any type of white fish like Bhetki, Tilapia, Cat Fish etc. Always use fresh fish to get the best taste.
I have prepared Asparagus with lemon & butter to go with the Fish Butter Fry. I used this combination so that the lemon buttery Asparagus would nicely complement the Fish Butter Fry. In case you don’t have Asparagus, try the same with green beans. In order to make this a full meal I have also served herbed rice along with Fish Butter Fry.
One of trick of making the super crispy layer is to add beer. The Yeast and CO2 present in the beer makes the batter lighter, super crispy and also adds a nice texture. I have used non-alcoholic beer here, but you can use any regular beer or in case you don’t want to use any kind of beer, try Soda water ( sparkling water ) and Yeast. Even in any case you don’t have the Yeast, just Soda water should be fine.
I have covered the fish fillets with Cornstarch before putting them into the batter so that the batter could stick to the fish easily.
Another tips would be to use hot oil while frying the fish, you would need to fry the fish less than a min. When you put the fish in hot oil the outer later will become very crispy and fluffy. You don’t have to fry the fish for long.
This is a very easy and quick recipe. Serve this hot with your favorite sauce, I love any kind of white sauce with this, like Ranch or Chipotle.
- 280gm White Fish Fillets (I made 6 pieces )
- 4 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 11/2 Teaspoon Garlic Paste/Power
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper Power
- ½ Cup All Purpose Flour ( Maida ) [1 CUP = 225ml ]
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Power
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Power
- ¼ Cup Milk
- 2 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter (35gm)
- ½ Cup Beer
- 1-2 Tablespoons Green Chili Paste (Optional)
- Vegetable or Canola oil
- 150gm Asparagus
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Paste/Power
- Cut the fish into medium size and marinate the fish with lemon juice, garlic power/paste, salt & black pepper for at least 1 hour.
- Put the all purpose flour ( Maida ) in a separate bowl, add baking power, red chili power, pinch of salt and mix them well.
- Then add the milk, unsalted butter, beer and make a lump free and semi thick batter.
- Keep the batter for 30 mins.
- Take the Green Chili paste & Cornstarch in separate flat plate.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan (Temperature Approximately 150-175 Celsius).
- Take out one fish fillet from the marination, dip into the Green Chili Paste first then again dip it into the dry Cornstarch, at last dip into the batter before frying it in the hot oil.
- The moment you put the fish in oil it should become fluffy and crispy. Fry it till it becomes golden brown (Shouldn't take more than a min).
- Drain extra oil from the fish and serve them hot with Asparagus.
- Cut the bottom part of the Asparagus and boil them into a salty water.
- Take butter into a skillet/frying pan, add the Garlic Paste/Power and saute them.
- Then add the Asparagus and saute them for few mins.
- At last add the Lemon juice, mix it well and you side dish is ready.
Use hot oil while frying the fish, The fish should be ready in less than a min. When you put the fish in hot oil the outer later will become very crispy and fluffy.