The soft juicy tangy buttery Grilled Pomfret is everyone’s favorite. It’s mouthwatering even when I am writing this blog.
There is a background of making this recipe. My husband told me once that before marriage he & his friends used to have this Grilled Pomfret often from a restaurant at New Jersey and they all loved it very very much. They have once tried making this at home but the taste was not as you get in the restaurants. Even after marriage he took me to the same restaurant and we had ordered the Grilled Pomfret there. Since we have moved to North Carolina we don’t know where to find the Grilled Pomfret so I decided to make this at home instead.
You need fresh Pomfret for this. We purchased it from local Chinese grocery store. You need to clean the Pomfret and make 3-4 slits on it. See below how I have done it.
I have marinated the Pomfret twice, also applied the oil, Cilantro-Chili Paste separately so that the inside & outside of the Pomfret gets properly marinated and you will also get the nice taste of Cilantro. Refer the picture below on how it looks after the marination.
See how much I have grilled from the below picture.
The Grilled Pomfret was very tasty and yummy. My husband said now he would never miss the restaurant at New Jersey and asked me when he can have the same again 🙂
- 500gm Pomfreat fish (medium size 5 pieces )
- 1½ Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of Turmeric Powder
- 3½ Tablespoon Yogurt/Curd
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chili Powder/Paprika(for color)
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Green Chili Paste
- 2-3 Tablespoons Coriander Leave/Cilantro Paste
- 2 Tablespoons Mustard Oil
- Salt as needed
- Unsalted Butter
- First of all, wash and clean the fish, make some slits (a long, narrow cut or opening) on it. (See pic-1).
- Then marinate the Pomfreat with Lime Juice, pinch of Salt and Turmeric powder for 30 minutes.
- Take another bowl and mix all spices together, which are ginger-garlic paste, yogurt, red chili powder, paprika coriander powder, cumin powder, salt as needed and make a paste.
- Once the first marination has been completed then apply mustard oil first, followed by Cilantro Paste and Green chili paste.
- Then dip the fish into the batter which was created in step 2 and marinate it for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the oven at 180C .Brush the unsalted butter over the grill pan then place the Pomfreat fish on it.
- Cook the fish for 7-10 minutes and then turn the fish on other side, brush the butter on the fish and cook it for another 7-10 minutes. Don’t overcook them because overcooking will make the fish hard.
- Serve it hot with Cilantro Chutney & Lemon.
The fish should be soft when properly grilled, don't overcook it.
I have used red food color here to bring the nice texture.