Healthy Ramen Noodles with Shrimp is a simple recipe, perfect for weekdays when you want to eat something delicious without having to spend lot of effort on cooking. Most of the time after a long day of work we crave for good food, however often compromise that wish, with leftover from refrigerator or package food. The Ramen/Maggi Noodles are probably the most used packaged food many families rely on. Even through they are tasty, the salt content in these package food may not be very healthy to be taken regularly. Today we will see how to make these noodles not only delicious but healthy too.
We generally have few packages of these Ramen / Maggi noodles lying in the kitchen cabinets all the time. In this Asian inspired Healthy Ramen Noodles with Shrimp recipe, we will use two packets of the Ramen noodles and handful of frozen shrimps. I am a big fan of packaged noodles from my childhood. When I was like 3-4 years old, I used to buy it from a local store near home after school. One packet used to cost around $0.15 (1 Rupee) at that time in India. Lets see all the ingredients we will be using today.
If you look into the list of nutrition at the back of a Ramen noodles packet, you will find around 1,700mg of Sodium (Sometimes half the amount would be mentioned by setting the serving size to 2). U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends the general population to consume no more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium a day. Even though probably everyone knows this fact, it’s really hard to stay away, since its tasty and takes only few minutes to make. I was trying to find a way to reduce the sodium content and enhance the taste as well. So we will first throw away the seasoning which contains most of the sodium. Then we will boil the noodles in hot water and drain that too. We will then rinse the noodles with cold water and drain that too. This will reduce the sodium to a much lower amount. Even though I don’t know how much we will reduce the sodium by draining the boiled water, lets look at the list of nutrition of a Ramon noodle packet without the seasoning just to get an idea. This data has been taken from this website. The noodles contains only 220mg of sodium with out the seasoning.
So now this Ramen Noodles with Shrimp is a healthy healthy and the next step would be to make the noodles delicious by following the remaining steps of the recipe. You can use fresh shrimp, however I have used frozen shrimp. We will cook the shrimp at first and keep it aside. A hint of red chili flakes would increase the spice level.
Julienne carrots will be cooked in just few mins.
Here is another look of the Healthy Ramen Noodles with Shrimp.
Not just for adults, this is a perfect recipe for kids too. Find the full recipe here.
- 3 tbsp Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Low Sodium Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Low Sodium Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Chili Garlic Sauce (Sriracha Sauce)
- 2 tbsp Garlic Paste
- ½ Cup Thinly Sliced Onion
- 1 Cup Julienne Carrots
- 1 Cup Celery (sliced)
- 10-12 Large Shrimp, Peeled
- 2 Packets Ramen Noodles, seasoning packets discarded
- 4 tsp Vegetable oil
- Red Chili Flakes
- Salt (As needed)
- Properly mix all the ingredients for sauce and keep it aside.
- Cut all the vegetables as needed.
- Heat a skillet in medium flame, add 3 tsp of vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the shrimps, then add 2 ts of garlic paste, pinch of red chili flakes. Cook the shrimp for 1-2 mins.
- Now add 1 tbsp of the sauce you made in first step, cook the shrimp for another min. Turn off the heat, keep the shrimp aside.
- Cook the Ramen noodles without the seasoning in hot boiling water. Drain the water, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Heat the same skillet you used before, add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add 1 tbsp garlic paste and cook for 15-30 sec.
- Then add the Onion and saute for 30 sec. Add the Carrot and celery.
- Once the vegetables have been soften add the noodles, mix everything.
- Add 4-5 tbsp (remaining) sauce you made and mix it well.
- Add salt as per your taste.
- Finally add the shrimp.
- Serve the Healthy Ramen Noodles with Shrimp hot !