Paneer Makhani is a very easy recipe to make at home and it becomes even more tasty when taken with Garlic naan. Paneer Makhani is also a very popular recipe in North India. It takes fractions of time and effort to make Paneer Makhani compared to other similar Paneer recipes.
I have decided to add more pictures for different steps so that you can visualize the step by step process. You can cut the Paneer in any shape. The third picture is showing how I have made the Onion & green chili Paste and fried the Paneer. The 4-6 pictures would give you an idea of the different stages of the gravy.
You can add more half & half or fresh cream to make more gravy. I wanted have the Paneer Makhani bit dry since I had planned to have it with rumali roti.
Hope you will enjoy the Paneer Makhani recipe.
- 400gm Paneer
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Paste
- ¾ Cup Tomato Puree
- ½ Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Paprika Powder / Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1-2 Teaspoon Green Chili Paste
- 3-4 Tablespoons Onion Paste ( fried ) - See Notes
- ¼ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder (Cinnamon, Cardamom, Cloves )
- 3-4 Tablespoons Cashew Paste
- ½ Cup Half & Half / Fresh Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Fenugreek Leaves (kasuri methi)
- 45gm Butter
- 2-3 Teaspoons Sugar
- Salt ( As per Taste )
- Cut the Paneer in small cubes. Boil some water in a bowl , add pinch of salt , add the paneer pieces and take them out with in a min.This will make the Paneer very soft.
- Shallow fry the Paneer in Vegetable Oil. Don't fry them too much otherwise they will become harder. Keep them aside.
- Then cut the Onion in square pieces and shallow fry them in Vegetable Oi for few mins until they are transparent. Put them in a blender and make a paste.
- Also cut some green chili and make a paste.
- Take a skillet in medium flame, add the butter, once it has been melted add the ginger paste and stir them for 1 min.
- Add the Onion paste and stir again for few mins. Since the Onion was already sauteed, you don't have to cook for long.
- Afterwards, add Red Chili Powder, Paprika Powder / Kashmiri Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder , Garam Masala Powder and Green Chili Paste. Stir for few mins so that the masala will be cooked.
- Add the Tomato Puree and stir for 1 min. Add ½ Cup of water and let the mixture come to a boil.
- Then add the Cashew Paste and mix it nicely.
- After few mins, add the Half & Half / Fresh Cream.
- Now add the Sugar and Salt.
- Finally add the Fried Paneer, reduce the flame to simmer/low and cover the skillet with a lid for 5-6 mins.
- Remove the lid and add the crushed Fenugreek Leaves (kasuri methi) and mix well.
- Your yummy yummy Paneer Makhani is now ready for serving. Serve it with Garlic naan or rumali roti.
I added more sugar since I like the Paneer Makhani little sweet.