Sabudana Vada is a very yummy,crispy and quick recipe you can make in 30 mins, if you have the Sabudana soaked previously. This can be served as a perfect vegetarian appetizer.Make sure to serve this hot.
Sabudana is very nutritious item. It helps muscle growth, improves bone health, and keep your blood pressure under control, improves your digestion etc. If you are a vegetarian and looking for healthy protein source then you can include sabu dana or tapioca in your diet. Side by side tapioca or Sabudana contains calcium, iron and vitamin K, which plays a very important role in maintain bone health and improving flexibility. Sabudana or tapioca is full of carbohydrates, it is a quick and health way to give your flailing energy reserves a boost. Sabudana is very healthy for kids also.
You can see all the ingredients I have used here. This is a very quick recipe you can make. The whole coriander is an important ingredient.
I have made small patty, you can see below how it looks before frying.
You can make different types of recipe from sabu Dana, like sabu dana pakoras ,sabudana khichri,sabudana ladoos etc.The crispy and delicious Sabudana Vada is perfect for evening snacks or you may have it with dal and rice. Personally I am big fan of this Sabudana Vada. When my mom makes this recipe with some left over sabu dana I would have been very happy. After marriage my husband Abhisek made amazing Sabudana Khichri, for me which I will share with you next time.
- 1½ Cup Sabudana
- 1 Potato Mashed
- 1 Cup Grated Coconut
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Paste/Finely Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Green Chili
- 1 Tablespoon Red Chili Flakes
- ½ Tablespoon Whole Coriander
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 Teaspoon Chat Masala
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- 4 Tablespoons Chopped Onion
- Handful of chopped Cilantro/ Coriander leaves
- Vegetable Oil (For Deep Frying)
- You need to soak the Sabudana over night or minimum for 5-6 hours. Soaking the Sabudana properly is the most important step, it shouldn't be too soft or hard.You need to add the water in proper quantity. At first add water up to the level of Sabudana and then add little bit more water ( not too much ).When the Sabudana is fully soaked it will be soft but each Sabudana will be separate and shouldn't stick to each other.
- Boil the potato, peel and mash it then mix it with Sabudana.
- Now it is time to mix remaining spices. Add grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves, ginger paste ( or you may use finely chopped ginger) , chopped onion, green chili, chili flakes (for more spiciness), whole coriander seeds, coriander powder, cumin powder, chat masala, lime juice and mix them well with the Sabudana & mashed potato.
- Now take some portion of mixture and shape them into flat round patties or vadas and keep them aside.
- Take a deep frying pan and add vegetable oil, when oil is hot enough deep fry the Sabu dana vada till golden brown.
- Soak the excesses oil from vadas with the help of paper towel and serve hot with chutney.
To make your Sabudana vada more crispy you need to fry them till golden-brown in medium-high flame.