Bengalies love fish. Shahi Fish Curry is an unique & uncommon recipe. I eventually found out that keralites (Malayali) also love to have fish as much as Bengalies. Last week I invited my friends and wanted to make something special for them.
I have used Salmon fillet here but you probably want to use Bhetki fellet for the best results. Shahi fish curry goes very good with any flavored rice. I made quick fried rice to go with it.
I didn’t have fresh fish fillet so went out with my husband on Friday to the local fish market to get the fillets.
Candidly, I made this first time so was bit tensed on how this would taste. The guests we invited knew about my food blog & they were excited to have a new recipes made by me. Finally they were amazed with all the dishes I made, specially liked the Shahi Fish Curry so much that I had to pack the leftover for them. The ladies wanted to learn the recipe, so here it is, please let me know if you need any additional details.
- 4 pieces of Fish Fillets (Salmon/ Bhetkie)
- 2 Table Spoon Lemon Juice
- ½ Tea Spoon Black pepper power
- Egg (1piece)
- 3-4 Table Spoons Cornstarch/cornflower
- Vegetable Oil
- 3-4 Table Spoons Onion paste
- 3 Table Spoons Tomato puree
- 1 Tea Spoon Chopped Garlic
- 1 Tea Spoon Turmeric powder
- 3-4 Table Spoons Cashew paste (kaju Bata)
- Pinch Of Sugar
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Tea Spoon Red Chili Powder
- Chili Flakes (optional)
- Cardamoms, Cinnamon, Cloves (Garam masala Powder)
- Dried Fenugreek leaves (Kasoori Methi)
- Marinate the Fish Fillets with Salt, Black Pepper power and Lemon Juice for 30-45 mints and keep it aside. Then make a batter with cornstarch, pinch of salt and egg then make a lump free thick batter. Take each fillet and dip in batter. Heat enough oil in skillet/cooking pan, when the oil will be hot then put the fillets into it till they are golden brown. Take the Fillets from the oil and place them onto paper towel from remove the excess oil.
- Heat cooking pan (skillet) and add 4 to 5 table spoon of oil .Put onion paste, finely chopped garlic and let it slight brown. Add chili powder, turmeric powder, tomato puree, Cashew paste (kaju Bata), salt and pinch of sugar then mix them well. Add little bit of water and let it cook for 4-6 mints. Then put the fillets into the gravy sauté them for 2 mins. Now the saahi fish is almost ready, before serving put some garam masala powder and Dried Fenugreek leaves.Serve this Saahi Fish with fried rice.
You may want to sprinkle water in case your curry becomes very dry.