Who doesn’t love shrimp? Shrimp Butter Masala has become one of my favorite fish now a days. At Santiniketan it wasn’t always easy to get fresh shrimp, however my dad used to purchase shrimp for me whenever he could find at fish market.Even though I don’t like fish a lot, I just love Shrimp, may be because Shrimp after all is not fish at all ! Although theoretically you suppose to get good Shrimp/Prawn in Bengal, I surprisingly found that, here in US you get very high quality shrimp at fairly reasonable price.
I am so glad that Abhisek makes amazing shrimp Malai-curry. We generally purchase cut and clean Shrimp from local grocery stores. However in order to make this Shrimp Butter Masala we had purchased the tiger shrimp from Halal store. Unfortunately they were not cut and clean. So after reaching out to many of our friends and family members, finally we were able to successfully to cut & clean the shrimp.
See below how I have cut my shrimp, let me know if you need any help there.
See below the photo after second marination of shrimp.
After light fry the shrimp would look like this.
Here is another look of the easy and delicious Shrimp Butter Masala !
Find the detail recipe below. Hope you will enjoy it.
- 3 Big Shrimp
- 4-5 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Salt (As Per Taste)
- 3 Tablespoons Yogurt/Dehi
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Red/Green Chili Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Tandoori Masala Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Paste
- 2 Tablespoons Mustard Oil
- Salt (As Needed)
- 4 Tablespoons Onion Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Onion Paste (After light fry - See Notes)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Finely Chopped Ginger
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Finely Chopped Garlic
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ -1 Teaspoon Red Chili Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Tandoori Masala
- ½ teaspoon Chopped Tomato
- 2-3 Tablespoons Tomato Ketchup
- ¼ Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- Vegetable Oil
- Let’s cut and clean the shrimps first, then marinate them with lime juice for 20 minutes.
- Take another bowl and put all ingredients (under second marination list) and mix them well.
- Now put the shrimps in the bowl, mix with the marination and marinate again for at least 1 hour.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet .Light fry the shrimps and keep them aside.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons butter in the remaining oil.
- When the butter has melted, add 4 tablespoons chopped onion and stair for few minutes.
- Then add onion paste (light fried), chopped ginger, chopped garlic and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Now it is time for mix all the dry spices. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, tandoori masala powder, coriander powder, salt & sugar and stair well for few minutes.
- If you want to make your food hot then add some chili paste.
- After sometime add chopped tomato, stir it to mix it with gravy, then add little bit of water and cover the skillet with lid for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add tomato ketchup and leftover marinated masala in the gravy then cook for few minutes.
- Add the shrimps in the gravy and cook for another few minutes, when the prawn/shrimp has been cooked, add little bit of butter over them and serve it with plain rice.
Light Fried Onion Paste - Cut the Onion in dice shape and fry it in oil with low-medium heat. Once they are transparent blend them in the mixture to make a paste.