Skewered Chicken Sosaties – Chicken Tikka is one of the most popular appetizer across the globe. In this recipe chicken cubes and veggies are marinated in yogurt and different types of dry spices for several hours, which help to make the chicken tender, flavorful and more tasty. After marinating for several hours, chicken and veggies are arranged in skewer one by one then grilled to make the Skewered Chicken Sosaties – Chicken Tikka in oven.
In order to make the dish more palatable, I have used dry roasted whole spices and then used a grinder to create a nice mixture.This provides additional flavor which you don’t usually get it in restaurants. Here is how the final spice mix looks. I have given the amount of individual spices to be used in the recipe below.
Another most important tips which I want to share with you guys that, to make this Skewered Chicken Sosaties – Chicken Tikka always soak the excess water form yogurt, that means use hung curd which helps to make your dish more tasty. To drain the excess water from the yogurt use cotton cloth. The hung curd also makes your marination liquid thick, which will make a nice coating on top of the chicken. So does the below picture make you feel hungry ? 🙂
Some of the restaurant chefs are using food color to make the Skewered Chicken Sosaties – Chicken Tikka more colorful and vibrant but when you make this appetizer at home you can avoid using food color since it’s not good for health.I will suggest to use paprika or Kashmiri red chili powder to get good color from your dish.
This recipe is very easy to make and on the other hand its very tasty & healthy too.
There is a story behind this recipe which I will like to share with you. We just came back from India after a small vacation and as you know we both like to explore different types of food.So one evening we went for shopping and afterwards for dinner.We had this dish after a very long period of time and it was just amazing. I didn’t want to miss it after coming here, so decided to make this at home also give the Skewered Chicken Sosaties – Chicken Tikka a new dimension.
Let me know your feedback once you have made this mouthwatering recipe at home. Here is the full recipe.
- 350 gm Boneless Chicken Breast (cut into medium cubes)
- 1 Bell Pepper ( Cut into medium chunks)
- 1 Red Onion ( Cut into medium chunks)
- ½ Teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ Teaspoon Paprika/ Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ Teaspoon Tandoori Masala Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Chat Masala Powder
- 1½ Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Fenugreek Leaves / Kasuri Methi
- 2-3 Tablespoons Hung Curd ( Drain the excess water from yogurt/Dahi)
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil/ Mustard Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger paste
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 3 Tablespoons Mix Spices ( 3-4 whole red chili, 1 Teaspoon whole cumin,1 Teaspoon whole coriander, ½ Teaspoon whole black pepper, 1 Stick whole cinnamon, 2-3 Cardamon and 2-3 cloves) Dry roast and grind them to make a powder
- Salt ( as per taste)
- Sugar (pinch of)
- Unsalted Butter/ olive oil (to brush the baking tray )
- Red Food Color (optional)
- Cut the chicken, bell pepper, onion into medium size chunks.
- Next we will marinate the chicken, take a mixing bowel, pour the Hung Curd then add all the spices listed above one by one. Whisk them all together, add the chicken pieces, bell pepper and onion cubes then mix them well. Marinate the chicken at least for 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven at 350F/180C.
- Before using the skewers soak them in water for an hour.
- Once the chicken is marinated, arrange them with the vegetables in the skewers.
- Burst the baking tray with unsalted butter or olive oil and place the skewers.
- Grill the chicken for 20 -30 minutes, rotate the skewers in every 10 - 15 minutes and brush the butter. Don't over cook the chicken because it will become dry.
- Now your yummy "Skewered Chicken Sosaties" is ready. Serve it hot with cilantro - lime chutney.
2. Soak the tikka stick before arranging the chicken and veggies, otherwise the stick may burn.
3. You can marinate the chicken overnight however in that case, add the vegetables few hours before cooking.