Soya Paturi is a very unique Bengali recipe. The word paturi comes from the Bengali word paata or leaf. The dish is cooked in a leaf, that’s why it’s called as Paturi. Generally Bengal paturi is a very very popular dish, however out of all different variations of Paturi, Fish Paturi is the most common & popular one. Unfortunately Fish Paturi is out of reach for all the vegetations.
I wanted one of my friend ( who is a vegetarian ) to try out the Paturi dish, so I made the popular Paturi dish with Soya. It came out really nice and tasty. Even if you are a non-vegetarian, you should also try this amazing recipe.
You can use mini soya chunks for this recipe. In case you couldn’t find Banana Leaf, you can use gourd leaf also to make this recipe.
Paturi is one of the signature dish of all Bengalis. I hope you you will like my version of the Paturi made with Soya (Soya Paturi). I am not adding photograph of each steps here since this is a very easy to make recipe.
- Soya mini chunks (1/2 packet)
- 2 -2 ½ Tablespoons Mustard Paste
- 3 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds Paste
- 2 Tablespoons Curd/Dahi
- 6-7 Green chilies (paste)
- 1½ Teaspoons Turmeric Powder
- 3 Tablespoons Grated Coconut
- 3 ½ Tablespoons Onion Paste (shallow fried/boiled onion paste)
- ¼ Teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- Salt (as per taste)
- Sugar (Very Little amount)
- Fresh Banana Leaves
- 3 Tablespoons Mustard Oil (this is a must)
- At first Boil the soya chunks, add little amount of salt while boiling them.
- Drain the water and squeeze the excess water from soya chunks.
- Take a mixture or food processor and put soya chunks. Crush them well however, do not use any water and do not make a fine paste. Once done keep them aside.
- Now take a large mixing bowl add mustard paste, poppy seeds paste, curd, shallow fried onion paste, grated coconut, turmeric powder, salt, pinch of sugar, cardamom powder, green chili paste and drizzle some mustard oil.
- Give it a good mix. Then add crushed soya and mix them well.
- Marinate them for 1 hour. Keep the Marination aside.
- Cut the banana leave into 6-6 inches pieces.
- Now brush some mustard oil on the glossy side of banana leafs and lightly roast those over low flame for 30 second. You can hold the banana leaf on top of the burner and move it left & right so that heat does not get concentrated at one area.
- Be careful do not burn your banana leafs.You can also place the banana leave in a warm water and steam it for 1 minute.
- This step is required to protect your banana leafs from tearing out when you try to fold them.
- Now take a piece of banana leafs and put 2-3 tablespoons of marinated soya mix at the middle of the leaf and close or fold the banana leaf from four sides tie it using thread. Continue the process for the remaining of the marinated soya mix. Keep them aside.
- Now put some mustard oil in a flat skillet or pan and, when the oil is hot enough place the marinated soya mix parcel/packets over the oil and cover it with a lid and cooked for 7-8 minutes in a low-medium flame. Flip the other side of soya packets and cook for another 7-8 minutes by covering the lid.
- Now your Soya Paturi is almost ready to serve. Discard the thread from the parcels/packets.
- Serve hot with warm steam rice. Enjoy your yummy Soya Paturi dish with your family members.