Thai Basil Chicken is very popular street food dish all over Thailand. Thai Basil Chicken is a easy recipe to make and also tastes amazing. The flavor of sweet basil has taken the Thai basil chicken to a whole new level. In Thailand this dish is also known as “pad kra pao gai”. To be honest that this amazing dish you can make it will few ingredients and within a few minutes, but it’s taste is so good that you cannot believe until you have made this recipe in home. In this recipe basil leave has been dominating the whole dish and it is very refreshing. You can find the Thai holy basil in any Asian store.
You would need four different type of sauces for Thai basil Chicken Recipe. The dark soya sauce will bring the texture.While buying make sure it is thick , like the oyster sauce.
See how it looks like after adding the chicken in the skillet/wok. As you may find below I had used few whole dry red chili to make the dish more spicy. You can use it however I have not included it in the recipe.
Once the chicken has been cooked add the vegetables. You can get an idea of that from the picture below.
The Thai Basil Chicken is really a time saving recipe. You can serve this with Thai Fried Rice also. I will post the recipe for Thai Fried Rice soon.
The bulls eye egg is mandatory, don’t forget to add it while serving.
Find the full recipe below.
- 1.43lb (650gm) Boneless Chicken breast (cut in small slice)
- 1 Medium Size Onion Chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Finely Chopped Garlic
- 2 Teaspoons Finely Chopped Thai red chili
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Flakes (optional)
- Red Bell Pepper (as much you want)
- Green Bell Pepper (as much you want)
- ½ Cup of Beans Sprouts
- Handful of Fresh Basil leaves
- 4 Tablespoons of Sesame Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Light Soya Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Dark/Sweet Soya Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Oyster Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Brown Sugar
- Clean the chicken nicely and cut into small slice, keep it aside.
- Cut the Bell Peppers and onion, chop the garlic and thai red chiles then use a mortar and pestle to hand grind your chili and garlic together.
- Heat a skillet in medium high flame, add 4 tablespoons of sesame oil.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add chili garlic mix and when the aroma has started coming out, put chicken pieces.
- Mix them well for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Add chopped onion and stair for 1 minute.
- Add Bell Peppers and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add little bit of chili flakes but this is totally optional.
- Now it is time to add remaining spices,so add 2 tablespoons of light soya sauce,2 tablespoons of dark/sweet soya sauce, 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce , 3 tablespoons of thai red curry paste,and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar.
- Mix the all spices together.
- Turn of the heat and add beans sprouts and handful of fresh basil leave and mix them well.
- Now your Thai Basil Chicken is ready to be served with steamed rice and fried egg over it.