Falooda is a very popular cold beverage in Indian subcontinent. It is a version of Persian dessert known as Faloodeh during the period of Mughal. There are different version of Falooda recipe you will find, like mango Falooda, rabdi Falooda, firni Falooda ,kulfi Falooda, pista Falooda etc.
To be very honest when I was in India I never had Falooda but after marriage when I came to New Jersey, me and my husband Abhisek went to a restaurant called Mithas. I had the rabdi Falooda first time there.The taste of the dish was very amazing and very difficult to explain in words. Then I decided not only to try it out at home.
I had an objective to achieve; it wasn’t just to replicate the food I had in New Jersey, rather I wanted to:
- Enhance the rich flavor of the dish even more.
- Make the Falooda recipe to be very simple & easy to prepare at home.
- Reduce the amount of fat without sacrificing the taste.
You can see at first I have simplified the recipe by using ice cream. You can always get low fat ice cream however I recommend to use the Kesar Pista Ice cream to get the best taste.
In case you are not very familiar with the ingredients, here are they. You can get all of them in Indian store
After you soak the Sabja Seeds/Tukmaria/Basil Seeds it will look like the photo below. You can get the Falooda in different color, I prefer the yellow or red one. Since I will be using Rose Syrup I used the yellow one.
Abhisek is very choosy with desserts, I was very afraid since he won’t even taste it if he does not feel comfortable with a dessert. After I served him, he closed his eyes after having one spoon ! I was terrified and waiting for his feedback, if he likes it then its definitely a good one. After few sec, which though seemed to me a quite a long time, he opened his eyes and told me this is the best Falooda he ever had. His exact words were “This is a masterpiece !!”
I was very happy since the Falooda came out so nice. The richness and depth of the flavors will surely fulfill your appetite.
Find below the easy but delicious way to make Falooda !!!
- Sabja Seeds/Tukmaria/Basil Seeds
- Falooda sev
- Rose Syrup
- Vanilla/Kesar Pista Ice cream
- Sliced Pistachios
- Sliced Almond
- Cardamom Seed (Crushed) (optional)
- Soak the Sabja Seeds/Tukmaria/Basil Seeds in water for at least 1 hour, then drain the water and keep them aside.
- Boil the milk and stir it continuously in low flame until milk has thickened.
- Add sugar in the milk; stir again for few minutes, then turn off the flame.
- Let the milk cool down to room temperature.
- Keep the milk in refrigerator for another 30 minutes.
- Prepare the Falooda sev according to Package instruction. (I had cooked the Falooda sev in boiling water in 1-2 minutes just like noodles)
- Once they are cooked drain the water and wash the Falooda sev in running cold water and keep it aside.
- Now You are ready to serve the Falooda.
- Take out the milk from refrigerator and mix 1-2 Teaspoon of Rose Syrup in it to get the nice pink color.
- Now take a dessert serving bowl, pour 1-2 tablespoons of Rose Syrup, then add the Falooda sev, pour half the milk, then put the soaked Sabja Seeds and pour rest of the milk.
- Then top with one scoop of Vanilla/Kesar Pista ice cream.
- Garnish with sliced pistachios and sliced almond.
- Now serve Falooda immediately.